This is an excerpt of an article in Zoom, which covers:
- Joining the Webinar
- Join by Link
- Manually Join the Webinar
- Waiting for the Host to Start this Webinar
- Controls within the Webinar
- Audio Settings
- Question & Answer
- Raise Hand
- Leave Meeting
Joining the Webinar
Join by Link (if you are already logged into your Zoom application)
To join the webinar, click the link provided in your Acuity confirmation of registration.
Manually Join the Webinar
If clicking the link does not open the webinar, you can download Zoom Client for Meetings and follow these steps.
- Install the application.
- Open the Zoom Client and click Join a Meeting.
- Locate the 9-digit meeting ID/webinar ID from your registration email. It may appear at the end of the phone dial-in information, or it will be in the join link, just after https://zoom.us/w/
- In the Meeting ID / Personal ID / Personal Link field, enter the 9-digit webinar ID, and click Join.
- Enter your name and email address if requested. Click Join Webinar.
This should take you into the webinar if the webinar is in session.
Waiting for the Host to Start this Webinar
If the host hasn’t started broadcasting the webinar or is preparing using a practice session, you’ll receive the following message:
If you receive a message showing the date and time of the webinar, check the the date and start time of the webinar including the timezone. Make sure to join when the webinar starts.
Controls within the Webinar
- To adjust your audio settings in the webinar, click on Audio Options.
This will open up the audio settings section of your Zoom application settings.
- Click the dropdowns to change the audio devices or adjust the sliders to change the volume.
- You can also click on the ^ next to Audio Settings to change your speaker.
If the host gives you permission, you can unmute and talk during the webinar. All participants will be able to hear you.
- If the host allows you to talk, you will receive a notification.
- Your audio settings will now change to a Mute/Unmute button.
Note: You can still access the audio settings by click on the ^ arrow next to the Unmute/Mute button.
Question & Answer
The Q&A window allows you to ask questions to the host and panelists. They can either reply back to you via text in the Q&A window or answer your question live.
- Click Q&A to open the Q&A window.
- Type your question into the Q&A box. Click Send.
- If the host replies via the Q&A, you will see a reply in the Q&A window.
- The host can also answer your question live (out loud). You will see a notification in the Q&A window if the host plans to do this.
The in-meeting chat allows you to send chat messages to and send a message to the host, panelists, and attendees (if permitted). In the instructor sessions, we will most likely have the chat limited to only panelists (faculty), as we want to foster a distraction free environment for you to learn. In TA or MC sessions, chat is often enabled as a part of participation in the session.
- Click Chat to open the in-meeting chat.
- The chat will appear on the right side of your Zoom window if you are not in full screen. If you are in full screen, it will appear in a window that you can move around your screen as needed.
- To change who you are chatting with, click the drop down beside To:.
- Type your message and press Enter.
You can raise your hand in the webinar to indicate that you need something from the host. The host may instruct you on how they plan to use this. Many webinar hosts use this feature to know if an attendee has a question and would like to speak out loud. Read more about raising your hand.
- Click Raise Hand in the attendee controls.
- Your hand will stay raised until you or the host lower it. You can lower your hand if needed by clicking Lower Hand.
Click Leave meeting to leave the webinar at any time. If you leave, you can rejoin if the webinar is still in progress, as long as the host has not locked the webinar.